What is Accela?
- Accela is a new permitting system that will replace the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections (SDCI) current Hansen system, many of our web applications, and the Project Portal.
- SDCI’s Accela solution is designed to integrate with an evolving citywide system where customers can conduct their business, including applying for permits, registrations, licenses, and other City business.
Why is the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections changing systems?
- Our previous system is outdated and needs to be replaced. Accela has more functions and flexibility.
- Accela provides a “one-stop shop” where our customers can apply for a permit, access project updates, pay fees, research property information, check the status of a complaint, find their rental registration information, schedule inspections, and more.
- Accela’s user interface is easier to use than our previous system.
- Accela can be configured to work on mobile devices, a necessity for our staff and customers that spend most of their day on a project site.
- SDCI needed a more robust system to register and inspect rental properties in Seattle.
How will Accela be different from the current SDCI permitting system?
Accela is a web-based system that makes information more accessible to our both our customers and staff. Information about each permit is more comprehensive and user-friendly. Key improvements include:
- More application types available online
- Project numbers include a two-letter suffix indicating the type of application
- All applications submitted electronically, including plans
- Workflow steps show greater status details
- A more robust search functionality
- A mobile-friendly site that resizes to fit your mobile screen
- Phased permits tracked under a single number
What does it mean for me?
Accela has several benefits for our customers. You can:
- Apply for all SDCI permit types online
- Submit all permitting documents electronically, including plans
- Research, apply, and view all SDCI applications in a single system
- Manage multiple projects through your own dashboard
- Create customized views by grouping your projects into “collections”
- Pay fees more easily, with the ability to pay all outstanding fees on all applications at once
How will moving to the new system affect my existing projects?
SDCI will transfer all existing projects to our new system. If you already have an account for our existing portal, you will receive an email with instructions to reset your password as soon as we launch. Your projects will have the same number as in the old system, with an informative two-letter suffix which helps identify the type of application.
How will I get information about using the system?
Visit the Seattle Services Portal Help Center for user guides and other information. We plan to have some overview sessions on how to use the system after we launch.
How will I get technical support if I get stuck?
If you have technical difficulties with the new system, contact our Seattle Services Portal Support Team.
When will SDCI change systems?
We will launch Accela on Monday, April 30, 2018.