The Tree – Plant/Prune/Remove application is used to generate a Conceptual Approval with a record number and later a permit for planting, pruning, or removing trees in the Right of Way during the construction phase. This article describes how to submit the application.
- Login to Seattle Services Portal.
IMPORTANT: If you do not yet have a Seattle Services Portal account, you must register before proceeding.
- Under +Create New, click Permits – Street Use.
- Under Select a Record Type, click Trees and Vegetation to expand the selection.
- Click Tree – Plant/Prune/Remove.
- Click Continue Application to start the Tree – Plant/Prune/Remove application process.
- Enter the Project Address of the SDCI permit you are getting Conceptual Approval for:
- Street No.
- Street Name
- Click Search. The remaining address fields are auto filled if there is an exact match. If there are multiple matching addresses, you are prompted to select the correct one.
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Contacts page.
- On the Contacts page:
The Applicant, Owner and Financially Responsible Party can be the same contact and should be the same as the contacts on the SDCI permit for which the conceptual approval is requested.
If the Applicant, Owner and Financially Responsible Party are different contacts, a Letter of Authorization is needed. Here is a link to the form. To avoid the need for a Letter of Authorization, make all three contacts the same contact.The Onsite Contact should be the Landscape Architect of record or the Architect, if a Landscape Architect is not required.
- Click Select From Account to auto-populate the contact information from your Seattle Services Portal user account.
- Or click Look Up to find an existing contact.
- Or click Add New to add a new contact.
- Or use the …is the same as dropdown and select the contact to use.
Additional contacts are not required for conceptual approval. During the construction phase additional contacts can be added or updated as needed prior to permit issuance:
- If contractors are directly involved or
- If a Tree Service Provider is required for pruning or removal
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Project Information page.
- Enter the Project Information:
- Project Name (optional)– Enter a title or short description to help identify the project.
- Project and Location Description (required) – Enter a description of the project and the location of the project. For example:
Existing house and two new townhomes. Street tree requirements and green factor in the planting strip on the S side of NW 73rd St between 20th Ave NW and 21st Ave NW.
Pruning scope is not required for conceptual approval. Pruning scope on trees to be protected and retained can be added during construction by the forester in coordination with the ROW standard, the contractor, and project design need.
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Related Information page.
- In the Related Information section, fill in any of the relevant information (e.g., MUP, Building Permit, SIP Permit).
- Skip the Tree Service Provider Info section for Conceptual Approval.
- Accept the default of Standard for the Permit Priority.
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Use Information page.
- Fill in the Use Code details of the work that you are proposing:
Create one row per frontage. To add additional rows, click Add a Row in Use Code section for each different frontage.
- Use – Defaults Tree – Plant, Prune or Remove.
- Use Code – Defaults based on Use selected.
- Street Category – Select type of street from dropdown.
- Side of Street – Select side of street where work will be done.
- Use Area – Auto-populates at 500 sq. ft.; leave as is.
- Mobility – Skip; leave blank.
- Closure Type – Select Open to Public.
- Use Start Date – Select an estimated date for the project Start Date.
- Duration Day(s) – Enter the estimated project Duration.
- Exp Date – Auto-populates based on Start Date and Duration.
- Click Submit.
- Scroll down and in the Tree Action Details section, click Add a Row to add the tree action details.
IMPORTANT: All Right of Way trees existing or new should be recorded in this table.
- Fill in the Tree Action Details for each species and action combination:
Prune for retain and protect existing trees; description should be ‘retain and protect’.
Remove existing trees; provide reason: health / form / driveway conflict.
Plant with # and species for new street trees requirement in Right of Way or in private property set back.
- Action – Select from dropdown.
- Count – Enter number of trees that proposed action will be taken on.
- Species – Enter species of trees that proposed action will be taken on.
- Tree Size – Enter Diameter Breadth Height (DBH) or Caliper (CAL).
- Reason/Description of Work – Enter the reason the work is being proposed and describe more details around the work being proposed.
- Click Submit.
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Documents page.
- In the Upload Document(s) section:
Upload your Site Plan / Right of Way Landscape Plan for Conceptual Approval review and any other documents that support your application (e.g., Arborist Report, Survey, Utility Plans).
- Click Select to upload a document.
- Click Select in the File Upload window.
- Select file and click Open.
- Click Done on the File Upload window.
- Select Document Type from dropdown (required).
- Enter Description of the document.
- Click Save.
- Wait for documents to upload.
- Click Continue Application to continue to the Review step.
- Review all sections. Click the Edit button if you need to make changes to a section.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Read the certification statement. Check By Checking this box, I agree to the above certification.
- Click Continue Application to submit the application.
- A Thank You page displays with the Record Number of your Application. Your application has been submitted for review. You will be contacted for any additional information and documents that are needed prior to approval of your application.
The landscape architect office will review your application and contact you for any modification required.
- The approved plan with the Street Trees Conceptual Approval stamp and record number will be uploaded to the platform.
- The permit will only be issued as the construction phase starts.
- Please include the record number and address in email correspondence.