The Temporary No Parking Zone (Paid Area) application is used to restrict parking and reserve curb space in paid parking areas of the city. Purposes may include but are not limited to: construction activity (which may also require a Street Use permit), loading and unloading, and clearing a street for special events like a parade. The restricted area is not to be used for parking personal vehicles. If you need to use a commercial vehicle in the Temporary No Parking Zone, you may apply for a Restricted Area Parking permit during the Temporary No Parking Zone application process.
Valid on-street parking spaces, whether paid or unpaid, may be considered for use as a Temporary No Parking Zone. You may not reserve already-restricted parking zones such as Carshare, Carpool, Van Pool, Food Vending, Truck Only, Passenger Load, or other Load/Unload Only zones. In special cases, or if there are no other parking options, you may contact the Traffic Permit Counter at email@example.com or call 206-684-5086 to make arrangements to relocate the affected zone to a nearby location. This may require additional reservation fees and sign-off by adjacent businesses or property owners.
This article describes how to apply for a Temporary No Parking permit in a Paid Area. If you need to reserve curb space in non-paid areas of the city, please apply for a Temporary No Parking (Non-Paid Area) permit. Refer to help article How Do I Apply for a Temporary No Parking (Non-Paid Area) Permit for directions.
If you have questions about the rules and regulations for Temporary No Parking Zones, please refer to SDOT’s website.
To find out if a curb space is available for reservations, refer to How To Check Curb Space Availability or Search for Temporary No Parking Reservations Using a Map.
Login to Seattle Services Portal.
IMPORTANT: If you do not yet have a Seattle Services Portal account, you must register before proceeding.
- Click the Home tab.
- Under Create New, click Permits – Parking & Truck.
- Under Select a Permit Type, click Temporary No Parking Zone to expand the selection.
- Click Temporary No Parking Zone (Paid Area) – Application.
TIP: If you already have a permit and want to extend the end dates, please go to My Records, find your existing permit, and click Make Changes.
- Click Continue Application to start the Temporary No Parking (Paid Area) application process.
- Enter the Nearest Address to the location where you want the Temporary No Parking Zone. For best results, only enter the Street Number and Street Name when searching for the address. When entering a Street Name for a numbered street, such as 5th Ave, only enter "5" in the Street Name field.
- Click Search. The remaining address fields are auto-filled if there is an exact match. If there are multiple matching addresses, you are prompted to select the correct one.
- Click Continue Application to continue to Contact Information.
- For Contact Information, you must enter an Applicant and a Financially Responsible Party. Optionally, you may provide an Alternate Mailing Contact.
For each contact type:
- Click Select From Account to auto-populate the contact information from your Seattle Services Portal user account.
- Or click Look Up to find an existing contact.
- Or click Add New to add a new contact.
- Scroll down and click Continue Application to proceed to General Information.
- In the General Information section, fill in the information:
- Reason (required) – The reason for the Temporary No Parking Zone. Select from the dropdown.
- Other Reason (optional) – Further explanation or additional reasons for the Temporary No Parking Zone.
- Related Permits (optional) – Informational only.
- Customer Job Number (optional) – A job, work order, or other number for your reference.
- Onsite Contact Name (optional) – First and last name of person onsite who is available, if we need to speak with someone.
- Onsite Contact Number (required) – Phone number of onsite contact. This number prints on the Public Notice.
- Click Continue Application to continue to Curb Space Information.
- In the Curb Space section, fill in all fields.
Block ID (required) – use this map and click on the curb space to find the Block ID and Curb Space of the parking spot you wish to reserve.
Curb Space (required)
TIP: Curb Space must be Verified to be reserved. Verification occurs after you enter the curb space number and then click somewhere else on the form. A Verified space means the Block ID and Curb Space entered are valid. It does not mean the space is available.
TIP: If you need a range, enter a row for each space in the range or contact the Traffic Permits Counter at (206) 684-5086 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TIP: To find out if the curb space is already reserved, check the Temporary No Parking Zones tab on this map.
- Location (auto-fills based on the Block ID you enter)
- Central Business District (auto-fills)
No Parking (required)
- Yellow – select this option if the curb space is no parking from 7 AM – 6 PM Monday through Saturday.
- Red – select this option if the curb space is no parking 24 hours a day.
Barricade – select this option if the curb space has a customized parking time limit.
Note: SDOT does not install this sign type. You must contact a local Barricade company and arrange for signs to be placed. If you chose the Barricade sign type in a paid parking area it will generate reservation fees.
- Black – select this option for long-term (more than 60 days) or if your job requires removal of street signs or pay stations.
- Requested Start Date (required) – This is the FIRST day your Temporary No-Parking Zone will be in effect.
- Requested Start Time (required) – This is the time you want your Temporary No-Parking Zone to end each day. Select time from dropdown.
- Requested End Date (required) – This is the LAST day your Temporary No-Parking Zone will be in effect.
- Requested End Time (required) – This is the time you want your Temporary No-Parking Zone to end each day. Select time from dropdown.
- Block ID (required) – use this map and click on the curb space to find the Block ID and Curb Space of the parking spot you wish to reserve.
- Click Submit.
- To reserve additional parking spots, click Add a Row and repeat steps 13 and 14.
- If you have any Curb Space reservations with Sign Type of Black or Barricade you must enter a row in the TNP Public Notice section below for each Block ID with a Black or Barricade Sign Type.
- Click the Add a Row button.
- In the TNP Public Notice popup, complete all of the fields (all fields are required).
- Block ID - This Block ID must match at Block ID in a Curb Space table row (completed above) which has a Black or Barricade Sign Type.
- Daily Start Time - This is the time you want your Temporary No-Parking Zone to start each day.
- Start Time AM/PM - Indicate whether the Temporary No-Parking Zone start time is in the morning (AM) or afternoon (PM).
- Daily End Time - This is the time you want your Temporary No-Parking Zone to end each day.
- End Time AM/PM - Indicate whether the Temporary No-Parking Zone end time is in the morning (AM) or afternoon (PM).
- Include Saturday - Select Yes if the Temporary No-Parking Zone is in effect on Saturday(s), otherwise select No.
- Include Sunday - Select Yes to indicate that the Temporary No-Parking Zone is in effect on Sunday(s), otherwise select No.
- 24-Hour Parking - Select Yes to indicate that the Temporary No-Parking Zone is in effect 24-hours a day. Make sure you set the Daily Start Time as 12am and the Daily End Time as 12am, otherwise select No.
- Install Date - Indicate date when the No Park Easels (A-frame signs) and the Public Notice will be placed.
- Install Time - Indicate time when the No Park Easels (A-frame signs) and the Public Notice will be placed.
- Install AM/PM - Indicate whether the installation is in the morning (AM) or afternoon (PM).
- Click Submit.
- Click the Add a Row button.
- If you have more than one Block ID in the Curb Space table with a Black or Barricade sign type, repeat step 16 for each Block ID with a Black or Barricade sign type.
TIP: You do NOT need to enter a row in the TNP Public Notice table for each Curb Space with a Black or Barricade sign type; only enter 1 row for each Block ID with one of these sign types.
- Click Continue Application to continue to Vehicle Information.
- If you are using a moving truck or other vehicle in the Temporary No Parking Zone, fill in the Vehicle Information section. This initiates a separate application process for the required Restricted Area Parking permit. If you do not need a Restricted Area Parking permit, skip to step 18.
- Click Add a Row.
- Select Type of Vehicle from the dropdown – Truck or Commercial Vehicle (required).
- Enter Vehicle License Number (optional).
- Click Submit.
- Repeat steps 17a – 17d for each additional vehicle you want to add.
- Click Add a Row.
- Click Continue Application to continue to Attachments.
- Click Continue Application again to skip adding documents and move to the Review step.
Note: Optionally, you may upload documents by clicking Select and following the prompts.
- Review all sections. Click the Edit button if you need to make changes to a section.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Read the certification statement. Check By checking this box, I agree to the above certification.
- Click Continue Application.
- A Thank You page displays with the Record Number of your TNP application. Your application has been submitted for review. You will be contacted for any additional information and documents that are needed prior to approval of your application. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email notifying you of fees due. Follow the instructions in the email to pay the fees.
- If you included vehicle information on your application, you will receive a separate email on the Restricted Area Parking (RAP) permit and fees. Another application has been created for the RAP.
- If your TNP Permit has Black or Barricade sign type reservations, a Public Notice report will be generated and available to print when the TNP Permit is issued (you must be logged in). The Public Notice report is available to print from the Attachments tab of your TNP License Record. the printed Public Notice report must be attached to at least two barricade signs per block. For additional instructions on printing the Public Notice report, refer to Print Your Public Notice.