November 12, 2020
Revised RRIO Inspection Due Dates
Property managers and landlords will see that their Rental Registration and Inspection Ordinance due date has been changed from 11/15/2020 to 3/15/2021. We have made this change because RRIO inspections are temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We moved the inspection due dates to a date when safe inspections may be possible.
Integrating Side Sewer Permits
If you are submitting an SDCI side sewer application, you can now request an SDOT side sewer application at the same time. When the SDCI permit is issued, an SDOT application is automatically created. You will receive an email with your new SDOT application number.
Stand-Alone Curb Cut Permit Changes
SDCI and SDOT have combined stand-alone curb cut permits so applicants only need to apply for one permit. If you need a stand-alone curb cut permit, apply for an SDOT ROW Construction permit, with a use type of New/Replace Concrete Driveway. Please note: Curb cuts reviewed under a SDCI construction permit still require a permit from both departments.
November 9, 2020
Street Use Applications
You can now apply for the following Street Use permits through the Seattle Services Portal. This is the second release for Street Use. All Street Use permits are now available online.
- ROW Construction (today’s Construction Use): Permits the use of the right-of-way for construction purposes. Can also be used to permit the repair or improvement of the street scape when it does not meet the thresholds of a Street Improvement Permit.
- Heavy Crane: A new permit type specific to the installation and/or removal of tower cranes larger than 100 tons.
- ROW Maintenance: A new permit type used to permit short-term uses of the right-of-way, such as for building maintenance, residential dumpsters and storage containers, or small sidewalk and/or driveway repairs when the right-of-way disturbance is under 100 square feet.
- Minor Utility: Used to permit the installation of utility infrastructure with minimal impacts to the street and/or sidewalk – those that do not meet the thresholds of a Utility Major Permit (UMP).
- Utility Major Permit: This permit type is for installation of utility infrastructure that meets the thresholds of a Utility Major Permit (UMP), including projects that trigger curb ramps per the Right-of-Way Opening and Restoration Rule (ROWORR).
- Street Improvement Permit: Used to permit street, alley and/or sidewalk improvements required by the Land Use code or other related codes (e.g., Stormwater). Also used when installing a public water/sewer/combined mainline.
- Final Plat: This permit is for the second, final phase of the City of Seattle subdivision process.
Other new features include the ability to:
- Request start date changes, end date extensions, or scope of work revisions to your issued permit.
- Submit Job Start notifications online to inform Street Use that permitted work is mobilizing in the right-of-way.
- See the status of your inspections and request inspections online.
- Withdraw a recently submitted application.
Please refer to the SDOT Permits and Services website for more information.
August 13, 2020
Removing Temporary Permits
We have removed temporary permits that are older than 90 days, with the naming convention 20TMP-xx, from the Seattle Services Portal system. This will make it easier for customers to find current and in-progress permits by removing unnecessary records from their account. Going forward, we will remove all temporary records older than 90 days. This means that customers need to finish n permit (received the green Thank You page) that they have started within 90 days.
July 24, 2020
Updated Boiler Inspection Dates
We have made changes to the Seattle Services Portal so that all boiler records and certificates will now show the correct inspection date. This will help customers know when to expect their next inspection.
Added Side Sewer Billing Statements
We have updated the Seattle Services Portal so that Side sewer billing statements will now be sent to the primary contact for an account.
Added Contractor Disclosure Information to Online Application Process
We have updated the online application process to collect your contractor disclosure information using the Seattle Services Portal. We no longer require you to upload a separate document to the portal. This will make it easier for SDCI to verify your contractor’s license status. You need to provide this information before we will issue your permit. You can do this at various points in the construction application and permitting process. This change applies to Construction, Phased Construction, Demolition, Mechanical, Blanket (Tenant Improvement), and Grading records. See How to Add or Update Contractor Information on Your SDCI Record, for instructions.
Accepting International Payments
Customers who need to pay for fees from outside the United States can now complete their transactions in the Seattle Services Portal.
June 25, 2020
Increased Document Size Limit
We have increased the size limit for documents that you can upload to your application. The new limit is 1 Gigabyte.
RRIO Certificate of Compliance Fees
We have updated the system so that it will email customers when they need to pay a fee to get their RRIO Certificate of Compliance, and automatically issue the certificate once fees are paid. If you have hired a private inspector to conduct the RRIO inspection, you will receive an email notification if there are outstanding filing fees 3-7 days after the inspection. You will no longer be able to get a RRIO Certificate of Compliance if there are any outstanding fees.
May 18, 2020
The SDOT Urban Forestry permit for planting, pruning, or removing and replacing a tree in the right-of-way is now available online.
May 15, 2020
Ability to Reprint Invoice(s)
Portal users can now reprint copies of their fee invoices, even if they have already been paid. Reprinting a paid invoice will show the payment and receipt history in the “Previously Paid Amount(s)” section of the invoice. You can access the reprint report under the Reports link in the upper right of your Record Details page. That report includes information on how to reprint a single invoice or reprint all fee invoices of a Permit Record from life-to-date.
We have added new document categories for construction, mechanical, and phased construction permits, construction permit revisions or renewals, and gas piping licenses. We have also added new document categories for green building. Customers now are able to select the Green Building Design Review Commitment Form (also embedded on the plan set) and the Green Building Certificate/Performance Report documents that required for any project using the green building standard.
April 23, 2020
New Tenant Relocation & Billboard Notices
If your project triggers the Tenant Relocation Assistance Ordinance, we will now send a notification to the owner, applicant, and financially responsible party. Customers will have more time to apply for a TRAO license.
Customers with billboard permits will now get a notification when they need to pay their renewal fee.
March 12, 2020
No-Show Fees Must be Paid to Schedule Appointments
Customers will no longer be able to schedule intake appointments if there is is an unpaid no-show fee on their construction, mechanical, or demolition record.
New Phase Issued Status
We have created a new Phase Issued status for Phased Permit records. This status means the one or multiple phases have been issued, but that the last phase has not yet been issued.
Site Plan Required on Environmental Permits
If you are submitting a request for an environmentally critical area or shoreline exemption, you are now required to upload a site plan. We have always required this document, but the system would allow customer to submit their requests without this information.
February 23, 2020
Temporary No Parking Permits
SDOT’s self-verification of Temporary No Parking barricades has moved to the Seattle Services Portal. You may now apply online for your Temporary No Parking permit in unpaid areas. Temporary No Parking permits for paid areas are already available online.